The upcoming Presidential Election is important to me because I am concerned about each nominee’s goals to help improve education in America. I am thinking about working in an urban school district and I would like to make sure the candidate I vote for wants to help inner-city schools. Often students enrolled in these types of schools come from underprivileged neighborhoods, with limited health care and from homes with low property values. This affects the funding available to the schools and I would like to know how the future President will handle this dilemma.
Go to this link to hear Obama and his plans to help this situation: Obama and Education. This is a collection of short excerpts from his whole speech. If you do not want to go through the nine minutes of clips, listen between the minutes 6:30- 8:00 and this will specifically address education, but I suggest you listen to the whole ten minutes of clips from the full speech. If you are interested to hear the full speech go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxOSEj_sQM. The whole speech is not focused on education, but a lot of the factors presented in the speech affect race in American. If anyone else is interested in starting a career in the same type of setting, I suggest you watch this speech.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think this is a great blog topic. I haven’t kept up with the presidential candidates as much as I should. I loved listening to his speech. I think urban school districts are losing a lot of money due to their environment. I don’t understand why schools in rich locations are being provided more money because their students are doing better, when the urban school districts are not receiving the support they need to have students achieve higher test scores. Obama seems to have a good outlook on the situation. He understands it’s a problem because he brings it up in his speech! I really enjoyed reading your post!
Thank you for blogging on this! Obama's ideas for education are main the reason that I support him. It gives me hope for this country to hear a politician, and a presidential candidate at that, who realizes the impact that education has on the country and the need to make sure that I doesn't get forgotten amongst all the other political concerns. And I absolutely agree with Jen, it's just not right to punish schools that don't perform as well by taking away their funding; that only leads to a vicious cycle of failure, definitely not what this country needs for its education system!
Post a Comment