Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Video Poem Experience

Currently in my Language, Literacy and Learning course we have been working on video poems. My group decided to do our video on "Alone" by Edgar Allan Poe. We spent time filming shots and attempted to act to the best of our abilities. Most recently we have been editing our footage, adding in the text and special affects and incorporating music.

Dr. Kist and Dr. Bruce have given us a lot of time to work on this project. I have enjoyed working with my group and being able to express ourselves. Current English teachers may not find this assignment related to their job. It might not be the most traditional assignment, but I have learned so much from it. Video poems teach students how to work with others, use time management, interpret a poem or excerpt and use technology. By doing this project I have learned poetry in a different way. I think it is a great project and I look forward to seeing every one's videos.

Even though we are not literally writing, we are taking the same steps as writing a document. When composing a paper, you have to brainstorm ideas then organize your information and sources. Writing and editing come next and this process continues throughout the work. The video poem was done in the same context. Our group chose a poem, we discussed our interpretation of it, brainstormed possible shots and the rest followed. It might not come across as similar, but they definitely are.

No comments: