Thursday, April 10, 2008

Anxious for Future

Hello all! Welcome to my blog spot. My fellow INLA friends and I are very excited to have the opportunity to express ourselves in a new way. During the past three years at Kent State I have been picking up bits and pieces of information and advice to help me in my future career as an educator.

For the past two years I have been a middle school cheerleading advisor. The experience has been amazing and great way to work with young adults. Even though I am not chatting with students about their latest favorite novel, I have been able to gain an understanding of the factors you do not always think about when coming into the teaching business. Some aspects that I have learned to work through are cooperating with parents, listening to a troubled teen and handling the frustrations during "rocky" days. Even though there are bad days, the good ones always seem to stand out and make it all worth while. Coaching has given me the opportunity to gain a sense of fulfillment, help teach young adults something new, laugh and have fun.

My goal is to take my two years of coaching and apply it towards teaching. I am nervous for student teaching, but even with the butterflies, I am still motivated to make it the best experience for the future. It is just one more step to reach my goal of starting a career in education.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I know exactly what you mean! For a couple years I taught at a music 'camp' teaching violin to kids ages 3-16. Even though each camp was only a week long, sometimes the 6 hour days got a wee bit... interesting. Especially for the 3 year old!

Taryn said...

I think it is great that you can use your coaching of middle school students when you get into student teaching. I wish I had more experience with older children like that. I have experience with children from 2 years to 11 years, and it makes me nervous that I am going to be dealing with 13-18 year olds. I just think, with coaching, you have a heads up on a lot of us, and I do not want to do poorly when I get into a classroom!!!